So I got lots of planting done last weekend. The peas, mange-tout and sugar snap were all sown directly to the ground and have already started coming through. The French beans and ying-yangs were planted out along with a couple of other varieties and the broad beans were planted out. I didn't have quite enough broad beans for two rows so I put some seed into the ground too and hope that these will germinate to fill in the gaps.
Most of the potatoes have started to show above the ground though I still have the job of finishing digging up those that I have left from last year in order to get the rest of the roots in the ground....hopefully a job for this weekend.
The onions (both red and white) are starting to sprout and the garlic looks really healthy.
So all this on top of work and home and you can imagines it's been a pretty busy time for me, but I bet it's been just as busy for all of you as well with Spring arriving so late.
It is lovely to bike to work and see the trees blossoming though, especially the magnolia which always look glorious. On the down side the rape fields are now nearly in full flower which is playing havoc with my hay-fever, hopefully when I get my bees I will have some rape honey which will hopefully help somewhat with that!!
No activity this last week on the bee plot...I will be getting onto that again after all the planting is finished!
I don't know whether I mentioned it before so forgive me if I am repeating myself. Anyway, my Friend and plot neighbour Kate is unsure whether or not she wants an allotment any-more so this year has paid for the land and I am working it so that she can take a year off and see if she misses it. This has left me with another half plot to work and it is where I am going to put the squash plants this year. This means I have sown more squash than I usually would purely because I have the room, it also means I've been able to space the rest of my allotment out a little more for easier access/weeding. Anyway within her half plot is the strawberry patch which has rather been left to it's own devices for a while....
|Strawberries, dandelions and weeds|
|A dramatically cleaned up strawberry bed.|
So things are going good and hopefully I will be able to tick lots more off 'To Do' list after this weekend. Of course I still haven't told you much about my bee course but this weekend I will be suiting up (weather permitting) and visiting an apiary so I am hoping to take the camera and then I can fill you in a bit on what I have been learning!
I just realised...I'm British and yet haven't mentioned the weather once!! Can't leave you all without a mention now can I. Everyone was complaining how dry it was and I did have to fill my water butts last weekend with a hosepipe which took rather a long time. But of course the weather has cooled down considerably and on Sunday it started to rain, then it rained again Monday and then Tuesday it rained in earnest. Wednesday and Thursday were just a few short showers but today is wet and miserable. It is good to see the grass starting to look more on the green side though and it will do wonders for the gardens so I'm not going to complain at all. Just hope it stops for Sunday so I can get a look at the bees.
Mouse nest Update...Just so you all know I carefully checked the nest last weekend. The babies are no longer where they were. It's possible Mum has moved them deeper into the compost bag, to an entirely new location or , on the sad side eaten them. All I know is that I did the best I could. If I see any further movement on the subject in the future though I will let you know.
Pray for good weekend weather everyone!!