Hubby had a week off for Easter and the kids were off to so we had plenty of family rime and went out a few times taking Trojan out to Rutland Water, Jubilee Woods and for plenty of walks across the fields playing hide and seek which he loved and was very good at once he got the hang of it!!!
So although the week has been manic it has been so in a very good way and now as I sit and type this I am content in all that I have accomplished over the last week. Even down to the dragonfly that I made for one of the teachers at school...and carrying out my first solo hive inspection. I'll show you photos of all that later...right now I will share the progress on the allotment though after all it IS an allotment blog and after such a long absence I think it is the best place to start!!
So you all saw where I got to last time with my weeding , right??? Well since then I have accomplished so much more and feel like I am really on top of things now. The last little bit of weeding was done in this area and then all the land was prepared ready for the brasscias to be planted once they are big enough.
I got the peas put in as well as the sugar snaps and the mange tout. These have been direct sowed after being soaked for 24 hours and sticks were put in place straight away. I will be stringing the sticks this weekend ready for them to climb as they grow!!
After the peas were in I had to concentrate on the other side of the plot where my brassicas were last year and where my potatoes were to be planted this year. Some will say it's too late to plant potatoes but I have come to realise that even if you are a little late you will still get a crop so I'm not worried. And besides this time last year the year was only just starting as we had snow in March!!!
First thing was to get the little sprouting broccoli that was left up and also the cauliflowers which gave me a really nice surprise as I uncurled all the greens and found some beautifully formed and perfectly white (albeit a little small) head which I harvested with glee!!!! This is my first success with cauliflower!!
So this is about half the tangle I had to get rid of...which incidentally filled two green wheelie bins. I didn't want to out them in the composter as they have such tough stems which take a long time to compost and I will have plenty to fill them with soon enough (Now that's optimism for you!!)
So the it was on to removing weeds of the worst kind and as you can see it was really bad so Saturday was my first full day of the year spent down the allotment but it was well worth it. Not only did I get these weeds out but.....I managed to get it dug and all my potatoes planted too!!
So upon leaving the allotment on Saturday it was with a total sense of satisfaction on what I had achieved...and total exhaustion too!!
It's looking pretty good...even if I do say so myself...of course you are all free to tell me how good it looks too!!!
I did notice whilst digging how hard the ground was and although there was some moisture beneath it wasn't much...not to worry though as some rain came on Sunday and then again in a big way today so the gardens have had a nice watering now...oh goody...time for the weeds to come back!!!
Oh well, I guess without the weeds I might have chance to sit and relax for a while and that would be just plain scandalous!!